Human Rights are a significant focus for international organisations such as the European Union, Council of Europe, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and United Nations.
CEC Member Churches advocate for the promotion and protection of human rights at the highest standards inside Europe and beyond its borders.
We monitor and advocate for the implementation of civil and political rights, as well as social, economic and cultural rights vis-à-vis International Organisations and European Institutions. We devote attention to a number of specific issues including freedom of religion or belief, anti-discrimination legislation, and developing resources for training and human rights education.Recent consultations on freedom of religion or belief and religious minorities in culturally diverse societies have produced statements on these topics.
- Communique from conference on “Towards Peaceful co-existence in the Middle East: challenges and opportunities”, 2018
- Communiqué on the legal status und protection of ‘places of worship’ and ‘holy sites’ 2017
- Endorsement of the CEC Governing Board of the Final
- Communique of the consultation on Religious Minorities as Part of Culturally Diverse Societies, Zagreb, 21 and 22 October 2016
- Statement of the consultation on Advancing Freedom of Religion or Belief for All, Halki Theological School, 7 to 9 September, 2015
Following are speeches from 2018 CEC debate on 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & European Parliament seminar in the framework of Article 17
- Metropolitan Porfirije of Zagreb and Ljubljana of the Serbian Orthodox Church
- Bishop Porfyrios of Neapolis of the Church of Cyprus
- Rev. Dr Daniel Topalski of the United Methodist Church in Bulgaria and Romania
Let us work together for creation of a human rights culture!
For more information on these issues please contact Dr Elizabeta Kitanovic.
29 Aug, 2018
Vivre le témoignage, la justice et l’hospitalité : l’Assemblée générale met en exergue des questions d’intérêt public
L’Assemblée générale de la Conférence des Églises européennes de 2018 à Novi Sad a recommandé aux Églises membres de la KEK six domaines préoccupants pour les années à venir.
28 Aug, 2018
The 2018 Novi Sad General Assembly of the Conference of European Churches recommended to CEC Member Churches six areas for concern in the coming years.
2 Aug, 2018
« Le génocide des Roms n’est pas advenu en une nuit seulement.»
23 Jul, 2018
”Религиозный плюрализм неотделим от демократических обществ и его существование в них просто необходимо.”
23 Jul, 2018
„Religiöser Pluralismus ist untrennbar mit demokratischen Gesellschaften verbunden und für deren Existenz unabdingbar. “
14 Jul, 2018
« Le pluralisme religieux est indissociable des sociétés démocratiques et leur est indispensable.»
13 Jul, 2018
“Religious pluralism is indissociable from and indispensable for democratic societies."
29 Jun, 2018
Churches in Europe have reacted with disappointment to the outcomes of yesterday’s European Union summit mainly addressing migration.
25 Apr, 2018
CEC has expressed solidarity with the Syrian churches affected by the kidnapping of the two bishops of Aleppo – who went missing five years ago.
19 Apr, 2018
International seminar of representatives of religions and politicians discuss circumcision ban in Iceland
In Reykjavík, Iceland, a conference on circumcision was held to discuss a proposal which has been tabled in the Icelandic parliament Althing to ban circumcision of male children for non-medical reasons.