European Regional Pre-AssemblyFebruary 25, 2022 09:00 February 26, 2022 17:30 From 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
The Conference of European Churches (CEC) will hold the European Regional Pre-Assembly from 25 to 26 February 2022, exploring the theme “Christ’s love moves the world to reconciliation and unity”. The event will be held online and the registrations are now open.
The European Regional Pre-Assembly was initially planned to take place in Warsaw, but due to current COVID situation and potential travel restrictions, it will now be held virtually.
Organised together with the Polish Ecumenical Council, the European Regional Pre-Assembly will be held ahead of the 11th Assembly of the World Council of Churches (WCC) taking place same year in 2022, in Karlsruhe. CEC is organising the event as a Regional Ecumenical Organisation (REO) in cooperation with the WCC.
The event will enable European participants of the WCC Assembly to actively engage in the life and processes of the WCC Assembly, bringing experiences and voices from the European churches, raising awareness about crucial topics, and highlighting the work of the churches.
The topics in discussion will be:
- Churches as reconciling communities in increasingly secular and plural European societies
- Christ’s call to discipleship: transforming love, inclusive community, perpetual hope
- Churches in Europe and the global ecumenical movement: Questions, challenges and priorities
- Next stop: Karlsruhe! – Preparation for the WCC upcoming Assembly
Among the speakers will be:
- Bishop Andrzej Malicki, President of the Polish Ecumenical Council
- Rev. Christian Krieger, President of CEC
- Dr Jørgen Skov Sørensen, General Secretary of CEC
- Rev. Prof. Ioan Sauca, Acting General Secretary of the World Council of Churches
- Prof. Petr Kratochvil, Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren
- Very Rev. Archimandrite Aimilianos Bogiannou, Ecumenical Patriarchate (moderator)
- Archbishop Emeritus Dr Anders Wejryd, Church of Sweden, President for Europe, World Council of Churches (moderator)
- Bishop Petra Bose-Huber, Evangelical Church in Germany