Human Rights are a significant focus for international organisations such as the European Union, Council of Europe, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and United Nations.
CEC Member Churches advocate for the promotion and protection of human rights at the highest standards inside Europe and beyond its borders.
We monitor and advocate for the implementation of civil and political rights, as well as social, economic and cultural rights vis-à-vis International Organisations and European Institutions. We devote attention to a number of specific issues including freedom of religion or belief, anti-discrimination legislation, and developing resources for training and human rights education.Recent consultations on freedom of religion or belief and religious minorities in culturally diverse societies have produced statements on these topics.
- Conclusions from Academic Conference on “Freedom of Religion or Belief in Montenegro, Podgorica, May 2019
- Communique from conference on “Towards Peaceful co-existence in the Middle East: challenges and opportunities”, 2018
- Communiqué on the legal status und protection of ‘places of worship’ and ‘holy sites’ 2017
- Endorsement of the CEC Governing Board of the Final
- Communique of the consultation on Religious Minorities as Part of Culturally Diverse Societies, Zagreb, 21 and 22 October 2016
- Statement of the consultation on Advancing Freedom of Religion or Belief for All, Halki Theological School, 7 to 9 September, 2015
Following are speeches from 2018 CEC debate on 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & European Parliament seminar in the framework of Article 17
- Metropolitan Porfirije of Zagreb and Ljubljana of the Serbian Orthodox Church
- Bishop Porfyrios of Neapolis of the Church of Cyprus
- Rev. Dr Daniel Topalski of the United Methodist Church in Bulgaria and Romania
Let us work together for creation of a human rights culture!
For more information on these issues please contact Dr Elizabeta Kitanovic.
20 Jun, 2019
The 6th Summer School on Human Rights of the Conference of European Churches took place in Lisbon, Portugal.
11 Jun, 2019
CEC released a short video from its 5th CEC Summer School on Human Rights, which brought into focus freedom of religion or belief, theology and populism in Europe.
4 Jun, 2019
Focusing on the theme “Together in Hope and Witness” – the CEC Governing Board have finalised the strategic priorities for CEC’s work for the next four years.
6 May, 2019
CEC in cooperation with the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Montenegro and Littoral organised in Podgorica, an academic conference on “Freedom of Religion or Belief in Montenegro”.
5 Apr, 2019
A recent seminar at the European Parliament in Brussels brought into sharp focus the situation and resilience of people in Syria.
4 Feb, 2019
CEC’s new publication "Religious Diversity in Europe and the Rights of Religious Minorities" edited by Dr Elizabeta Kitanovic and Rev. Dr Patrick Roger Schnabel is now out!
17 Dec, 2018
CEC and Cumberland Lodge held a conference titled “Towards Peaceful co-existence in the Middle East: challenges and opportunities."
13 Dec, 2018
Ensemble dans l’espérance et le témoignage – Le Conseil de direction de la KEK se réunit à Bruxelles
Du 22 au 24 novembre, le Conseil de direction de la KEK s’est réuni à Bruxelles pour sa première réunion ordinaire depuis son élection lors de l’Assemblée générale de 2018 à Novi Sad.
10 Dec, 2018
The CEC Governing Board with the Executive Committee of the Churches’ Commission for Migrants in Europe marked this occasion recently by issuing a statement
6 Dec, 2018
Human rights and religious freedom within the European Union was the focus of a debate organised by the Conference of European Churches.