European Christian Environmental Network AssemblyAugust 29, 2020 10:00 June 1, 2021 17:30 From 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
The Assembly of the European Christian Environmental Network (ECEN) will be held in 6 online sessions from 31 May to 1 June 2021, addressing the theme “Reconciled with Creation: A Call for Urgent Action on Climate and Biodiversity”.
The ECEN Assembly will explore responses to climate change and efforts for a sustainable future linked to an ethical dimension and broader questions of individual and collective freedom, as well as pursuing justice and responsibility for future. The Assembly will highlight practices from European churches leading to a sustainable future and supportive governance. The first day of the Assembly will feature a session for open dialogue and sharing. Youth will actively participate in the ECEN Assembly, with close cooperation and engagement in the preparations and Assembly process.
The keynote speakers will be:
- Bishop Jochen Cornelius-Bundschuh, Evangelical Church in Baden
- Archbishop Job of Telmessos, Ecumenical Patriarchate
Panel discussion will be held with:
- Andy Atkins, A Rocha UK
- Jytte Guteland, Member of European Parliament, Sweden (tbc)
- Sven Giegold, Member of European Parliament, Germany
- András Huszár, Green Policy Centre, Hungary
- Zélie Peppiette, European Commission (tbc) (until 1 May 2021)
Main topics will be:
- Does Climate Change and Sustainable Future Pose a Particular Theological Concern?
- The European Green Deal and the Role of Churches
- Networking and Cooperation in Responding to Challenges of Ecology
- Churches‘ Action and Commitment in Responding to Climate Change
- Climate Justice – Concern of Ecumenical Youth
The European Christian Environmental Network provides a Europe-wide platform for cooperation among churches in responding to environmental challenges and protecting the creation. CEC offers continuing support and cooperation to ECEN engaging with environmental issues.