European Regional Pre-AssemblyFebruary 25, 2022 09:00 February 26, 2022 17:30 From 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
The Conference of European Churches (CEC) will hold the European Regional Pre-Assembly from 25 to 26 February 2022, exploring the theme “Christ’s love moves the world to reconciliation and unity”. The event will be held online. Registrations are now closed.
The European Regional Pre-Assembly was initially planned to take place in Warsaw, but due to current COVID situation and potential travel restrictions, it will now be held virtually.
Organised together with the Polish Ecumenical Council, the European Regional Pre-Assembly will be held ahead of the 11th Assembly of the World Council of Churches (WCC) taking place same year in 2022, in Karlsruhe. CEC is organising the event as a Regional Ecumenical Organisation (REO) in cooperation with the WCC.
The event will enable European participants of the WCC Assembly to actively engage in the life and processes of the WCC Assembly, bringing experiences and voices from the European churches, raising awareness about crucial topics, and highlighting the work of the churches.
The topics in discussion will be:
- Churches as reconciling communities in increasingly secular and plural European societies
- Christ’s call to discipleship: transforming love, inclusive community, perpetual hope
- Churches in Europe and the global ecumenical movement: Questions, challenges and priorities
- Next stop: Karlsruhe! – Preparation for the WCC upcoming Assembly
Among the speakers will be:
- Bishop Andrzej Malicki, President of the Polish Ecumenical Council
- Rev. Christian Krieger, President of CEC
- Dr Jørgen Skov Sørensen, General Secretary of CEC
- Prof. Odair Pedroso Mateus, WCC Acting Deputy General Secretary and Director of the Faith and Order Commission
- Rev. Prof. Ioan Sauca, WCC Acting General Secretary
- Venerable Dr Rosemary Mallet, Church of England (moderator)
- Prof. Petr Kratochvil, Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren
- Rev. Prof. Cristian Sonea, Romanian Orthodox Church
- Ms Emma Van Dorp, Protestant Church in Switzerland
- Very Rev. Archimandrite Aimilianos Bogiannou, Ecumenical Patriarchate (moderator)
- Dr Nichola Brady, General Secretary, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
- Ms Salpy Eskidjian, Director of the Office of The Religious Track of the Cyprus Peace
- Dr Grzegorz Giemza, Director, Polish Ecumenical Council
- Ms Kristina Labba, General Secretary of the Sámi Church Council, Church of Norway
- Archbishop Emeritus Dr Anders Wejryd, Church of Sweden, WCC President for Europe (moderator)
- Bishop Petra Bose-Huber, Evangelical Church in Germany
- Rev. Prebendary Dr Isabelle Hamley, Church of England
- Rev. Michel Charbonnier, Waldensian Church in Italy
- Archbishop Urmas Viilma, Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Rev. Szabina Sztojka, Reformed Church in Hungary
- Bishop Hovakim Manukyan, Armenian Apostolic Church
- Archbishop Job of Telmessos, Permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to the WCC