Online Conference: The Hope of Communion: From 1920 to 2020December 16, 2020 17:00 December 17, 2020 11:00 From 4:00 pm to 10:00 am
Artist: Nikos Kosmidis, Ut unum sint, watercolour and aquarelle, 23.5×23.5cm, 2020. Used with permission, made specially for the Conference on “The Hope of Communion: From 1920 to 2020”.
The Conference of European Churches, together with the Louvain Centre for Eastern and Oriental Christianity (LOCEOC), is hosting an online conference titled “The Hope of Communion: From 1920 to 2020” from 16 to 17 December 2020.
The online event will bring into focus the two landmark ecumenical texts from 1920, namely The Patriarchal Encyclical Letter to the Churches of Christ Everywhere and The Appeal to all Christian People issued by the Lambeth Conference of Anglican Bishops.
The conference will examine the expectations for unity reflected in these texts, explore their relationship to the subsequent ecumenical developments, and address the question of what the hope of communion means for relations between the churches today.
The distinguished speakers from Europe and North America will be:
- Rt. Rev. Dr Guli Francis-Dehqani, Church of England
- H.E. Metropolitan Cleopas of Sweden and All Scandinavia, Ecumenical Patriarchate
- Prof. Joseph Verheyden, Coordinator of the Louvain Centre for Eastern and Oriental Christianity
- Rev. Dr Odair Pedroso Mateus, World Council of Churches
- Rev. Canon Prof. Mark D. Chapman, University of Oxford/Ripon College
- Prof. Stylianos Tsompanidis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Ms Natallia Vasilevich, Council of Christian Churches in Germany
- Prof. Peter De Mey, KU Leuven
- Dr Andrew Pierce, Irish School of Ecumenics, Trinity College Dublin
- Prof. Michael Root, Catholic University of America
- Prof. Friederike Nüssel, Heidelberg University
- Rev. Canon Dr Jeremy Worthen, Church of England
- H.E. Metropolitan Emmanuel of France, Ecumenical Patriarchate
On 16 December the conference will be held from 17.00 to 19.30 (CET) and on 17 December from 11.00 to 17.15 (CET)
In the electronic booklet read full programme schedule of the conference, biographies of speakers, and information about CEC and LOCEOC. Click here to download.
To register please contact Ms Vanessa Barreto: firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 December, indicating your institutional affiliation.